Realtor® as a Profession: What's it Like?

Wondering if you're suited to a career in real estate? Will you enjoy the profession? Will you be successful?

Real estate sales can be very rewarding and challenging. When you invest the time, energy and passion in the real estate business, the professional satisfaction and financial rewards can be very good, in both slow and good economic times. If you are contemplating becoming a Realtor®, here are some things you should consider:

There is a lot to know to be even moderately proficient at real estate sales, so a good training program offered by the brokerage is paramount to your success. It is surprising to many new agents how much there is to learn. Every sale has its own set of circumstances, and people being people add many twists and turns to a real estate transaction. It's important to affiliate yourself with a brokerage with a vast network of trusted and accessible advisors, and connections to quality service providers that you can refer to your buyers and sellers. 

Fall Is Right Around The Corner . . . Fireplace Safety Time

Fall is right around the corner! Before the air turns chilly and you get the urge to cozy up your home with a warm fire, you should have your chimney inspected to ensure it's safe for the season. It's definitely worth the time and expense to protect your home and family from the harmful effects of a chimney malfunction.

It can be dangerous to operate any type of fireplace, woodburning or gas, without routine upkeep. For a chimney to operate safely requires cleaning and making needed repairs. The most common chimney issues are (1) obstructions in the chimney, (2) creosote and soot build-up, (3) cracks in the flue, (4) deteriorating brickwork, and (5) chimney cap and crown issues.

Common causes of chimney blockage are birds nests, leaves, and heavy creosote. The most dangerous thing about a blocked chimney is that it can cause deadly carbon monoxide fumes to enter your home. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and invisible. By the time any signs of poisoning manifest, it is often too late to avoid severe injury or even death, especially among children. Because this is possible, it is crucial to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.